Saturday, July 25, 2009

Born in the wrong era

I really am beginning to think that I was born in the wrong era of time. Since Jess was born I have really gotten into alot of the natural lifestyle. Of course I have always been a big advocate for breast feeding as long as you can and believing in yourself and your body for a natural birth but I have dove so much farther. I started with attachment parenting, moved to cloth diapers, then added in homemade baby food and I started knitting. That wasn't enough for me. I started dyeing my own yarn to create my own one of a kind colors for pants for Jess. Now I have also started knitting things like dresses for my neice and comfy slippers for my family. My newest obsession? Spinning yarn. It looks so easy and like so much fun. I can't wait for my spindle to get here so that I can start spinning. I wish I could afford a really nice spinning wheel, but those things are insanely expensive (seriously we are talking a few hundred for a "cheap" one). Who knows maybe one day I will have one :). But this whole "earth-mother" thing (as my mother calls it) has really gotten me. I enjoy every minute of it. Most of the things I am into are the things that the "hippie" mothers did in the 60's and early 70's. My family and probably 99% of my friends don't understand why I do the things I do. But they are amazing! Having these hobbies are great. They can get expensive but I love the satisfaction I get when I complete a pair of pants for Jess and put them on him or sell to someone and they love them. It is really an exciting world. Luckly I have found great "communities" (quotes because they are online forums) that have helped me feel like I am not so crazy. You should see the looks I get when I say I knit Jess's pants or am spinning yarn. People think I have gone off the deep end. And maybe I have, but since I have started all of this, I have found myself as a mother and a person. I know I am out of the "norm" being who I am, but it is a great feeling. I love every minute of it and I wouldn't change it for the world. I joke alot with Greg saying that I would fit in perfectly in the Amish and Mennonite world if I could live without my cell phone and internet. LOL.

1 comment:

  1. I was with you on the breastfeeding thing (although my limit is a year), natural birthing, cloth diapers, and even the knitting to a degree. But spinning your own wool...sorry, you lost me there. you have WAY too much time on your hands...

    lmao

    ReplyDelete